THE 7-STEP TRUCKING ACCIDENT PROCEDURE
Image result for 7 step semi-truck accident procedure
When an accident happens, immediate action is necessary. Complete the following steps as soon as possible after an accident:
- Stop immediately– Remain calm and pull your vehicle as far off the road as possible.
- Prevent additional accidents– Turn on the vehicle’s four-way flashers and then set out emergency warning devices. These reflective triangles must be set out within 10 minutes of stopping.
- Check for injuries– If anyone is hurt, call for medical assistance.
- Notify law enforcement – When contacting law enforcement, state the location of the accident, number of vehicles involved and number of people involved.
- Document the accident– Detail is important, so include the following information: Time & location, description of damage to vehicles/property, names and addresses of all involved as well as insurance companies of all involved, type, make, model, license number of all vehicles and the name(s) & department(s) of investigating officer(s). Also draw a simple diagram of the accident scene.
- Notify your motor carrier– Follow your motor carrier’s notification policies/procedures.
- Complete a preliminary report– Depending on the motor carrier policy, a preliminary accident report is often used as part of a motor carrier’s investigation into the accident.
Source: J.J. Keller newsletter