The goal of vocational rehabilitation is to assist the employee to return to suitable employment as soon as possible. Return to work with your previous employer or to employment for which you have training or work experience is emphasized, and direct job placement and on-the-job training is given first consideration. Your rehabilitation counselor will work closely with you to determine the most efficient way to return you to suitable employment. The following priorities must be followed when the counselor is evaluating, developing, and implementing a proposed rehabilitation plan (listed in order from lower to higher priority):
- Return to previous job with the same employer;
- Modification of the previous job with the same employer;
- A new job with the same employer;
- A job with a new employer; or
- A period of formal training which is designed to lead to employment in another career field.
After a proposed plan is developed, it must be approved by a rehabilitation specialist of the court and agreed to by the employer/insurer. If the plan is not approved or agreed to, a petition (lawsuit) can be filed with the court.
To learn more check out Nebraska Worker's Comp.