Get A Free Evaluation Of Your Claim

Your Advocates
Against The Insurance Company

Home » Vehicle Crashes » Auto Accident FAQ

Auto Accident FAQs

After a motor vehicle accident, there will be a lot of questions. Here are some of the most common, along with answers:

What Should I Do After A Car Accident?

Medical care should be your first priority. However, there are a variety of steps you can take that may prove beneficial if you need to pursue a claim. Learn about them here.

Can I Get Compensation If Someone Else Caused The Accident?

If you can prove that another driver was negligent, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and potentially other expenses as well. This is no easy task, and auto insurance companies often make it even more challenging because they do not want to pay fair compensation. Insurers are notorious for delaying, underpaying and denying perfectly legitimate car, truck and motorcycle accident claims.

How Do I Know If A Settlement Offer Is Fair?

This is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for many motor vehicle wreck victims. The insurance company offers a settlement. On the surface, it may look sufficient. Unfortunately, many victims accept it without carefully reviewing it, only to discover that the money will run out before all the bills are paid, and they cannot go back for more.

When trying to determine whether an offer is fair, one key issue to consider is whether medical treatment is finished or if medical bills are still coming in. If treatment is not over, how certain can the insurance company be that the offer will cover all the bills? The issue is similar for lost wages. If you are not back at work yet, how can the insurance company be sure when you will be back and earning a paycheck again? Another issue is pain and suffering. This is not an economic damage that can be added up like medical bills. It is more complex to calculate, and insurers often use this as an opportunity to underpay.

What If The Other Driver Is Uninsured Or Underinsured?

Just because the other driver does not have insurance or does not have sufficient insurance to cover all damages does not necessarily mean you are out of luck. You may be able to pursue compensation through your own auto insurance policy, provided you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM coverage).

Do I Need To Talk To A Lawyer?

While there is no legal requirement to talk to a lawyer about your auto accident claim, you may benefit from doing so. First, a lawyer will be able to more accurately assess the value of your claim, ensuring that you have a better understanding of whether a settlement offer is fair. Further, a lawyer can push back through the appropriate legal channels if the insurance company is unwilling to provide the compensation you deserve.

It costs you nothing to talk to an attorney about your case. The consultation is free, and the case itself will be handled on a contingency basis. We encourage you to contact us today at Brock Law Offices in Lincoln, Nebraska. Call us at 402-327-1777 or by email.